If, after reading the welcome message, you still wish to be on the distribution list, send mail which very clearly and explicitly says these two things:
- That you read the welcome message, and
- That you still wish to be on the distribution list.
As soon as I receive a message from you stating both of these things, I’ll add you to the distribution list and send you a copy of the most recent digest.
Moderator, The Elfinkind Digest
All messages sent here concerning the digest WILL BE POSTED unless the message specifically requests otherwise.
Available for cost of postage and floppy, but sending floppy and return postage is preferred. I will package in lots of one to two weeks, whichever you request (or will fit), and send back to you. Arrange via netmail, or, if you can’t, send paper mail to:
5038 20th Avenue NE Main House
Seattle, WA 98105-3300
UNITED STATES OF AMERICAContact Malcolm Campbell (above) for this service in Great Britain.
A good many of those on the list are of a neopagan or “magical” religious bent; however, this should not be confused with the primary issue at hand. It is not the position of the list or the opinion of the list moderator that a particular religious belief is required to participate. Neither is one’s religion necessarily indicitive of one’s species.
Those receiving the digest tend to fall within one of two groups: the curious observer, or the Elf/otherkind. I consider myself in the latter, but do not demand that anyone state their status. I do request this, but it is perfectly acceptable to decline the invitation. Whatever your role here, I hope you find the experience interesting.
IT SHOULD BE NOTED – and this is important – that the digest is very much NOT an exercise in role-play; we are NOT gaming, and this is NOT an in-progress RPG. We are quite serious about the reality of this matter. Anyone who feels it necessary to inform us that we’re either fools or insane for our beliefs may rest assured that we have already heard it, and do not need to hear it again.
The digest appears no more than five times a week, typically being mailed out on weekday evenings. A typical digest will have between one and four messages; volume is relatively light.
Initially, I expected only to find other elves; as it turned out, I found a large number of people with a large number of self-identifications. The scope of the digest has officially been enlarged to encompass these other “others,” though the name of the digest itself has remained unchanged. Likewise, for a very long time, the digest was relatively secretive in nature; while anonymity of the list membership remains, the existance of the list itself is no longer to be considered a private matter, and the list address may be handed out at will.
Elfinkind Digest Moderator
- If a message comes to me dealing with the list or the subjects in the list, I WILL consider it a submission to the digest. I do not have a separate account for the digest, nor the resources for one; if you intend a message for me alone, please mark it as such.
- Anonymous postings will be permitted; please mark them as such in ALL CAPS in the subject of the message.
- Anyone can join this list. However, I will keep a strict reign on ridicule, for reasons which should be obvious. I hope this rule will prove unnecessary.
- The mailing list is currently quite small. If you know someone who will have an interest in this list, please have them mail me.
- I will make no public judgements about one subject which has already come up; who on the list is – and who on the list isn’t – an elf. I request that others refrain from this as well; none of us are exactly in the best of position to make such assertions about anyone else.
- It would be good if everyone posted some sort of introduction, but I do not require it. I DO strongly encourage it, however. If you do submit something along these lines, I suggest you include:
Your name (or names),
Your physical location,
YOUR INTEREST IN THIS DIGEST (important),
and, just for fun, maybe your religion and political views.
Please let me know if you do _not_ want your introduction to go into the long-term membership introduction file. This file will be mailed out to new list members upon request.